tibet travel permit

Tibet Travel Permit  Regulations. Lhasa is only open to travelers who arrange a full package tour prior to arrival. A tour guide must accompany you each day and travel plans MUST be arranged in advance. You must obtain a permit 10 days before your departure date. We are based in Lhasa but also have partners in Beijing, Xining, Chengdu and Shanghai from were it is also possible to start your trip. Please read the following pages for detailed information regarding our procedure and trip itineraries. How do we obtain a permit? All Tibet travel permits are issued at the Tibet Travel Bureau in Lhasa. Foreigners can not directly obtain a travel permit through this office but we can help you arrange your permit. In order for a permit to be issued, you must have a fully booked tour for the duration of your stay inside of the Tibet Autonomous.

TTB Permit – Tibet Entry Permit – The “Tibet Visa” or “Lhasa Visa”

When you fly into Lhasa you will need to show this permit when checking in at the airport. Also, in order to buy a flight to Lhasa in the first place you will need to show this permit. TTB permits are also needed by groups traveling by Land Cruiser, but this will be arranged by the travel agency organizing the trip. Following is a picture of a TTB permit (click on the picture to enlarge): PSB Permit – Alien Travel Permit. If you want to visit “restricted” areas in Tibet, you will need an Alien travel permit issued by the PSB (Public Security Bureau) of Tibet.

Tibet Travel Permits -Tibet Visa

There are two kinds of permits issued for traveling in Tibet: the Tibet entry permit (TTB permit, equivalent of a visa for Tibet) and the Alien travel permit (PSB permit). Some people also call the Tibet travel permit as the Tibet visa, or Lhasa visa. Tibet Experience travel agency provides both types of permit for clients who book a tour with us.

 Chinese group Visa from Nepal:

This visa is only applicable for travelers who entry from Nepal by air or overland. All foreigners traveling to Tibet from Nepal require a Tibet Group Visa. This visa only can be obtained in the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu. This visa is printed on a A4 size paper with your essential information such as all the group member’s name, passport number, gender, nationality, date of birth and occupation.

The dates of entry and exit are precisely noted on the visa paper. All the members of the group must entry Tibet and exit China together. The Chinese embassy in Kathmandu issues two copies of original Tibet Group visa. One copy will be collected by immigration office when you entry Tibet and the other one need to show at the exit gate in China. If you enter Tibet from Nepal, then make sure you don’t apply for a Chinese visa in your home country or elsewhere. Because if you do, it will be cancelled and you need to apply for a Tibet Group visa at the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu.

Below is a list of our pre-planned trips in Tibet 2023.

  1. Please confirm the final itinerary and prices that we have offered you so that we can finalize the Itinerary, price, and each client in the group’s exact date of entry into Tibet. Also we need to know your last destination before entering Tibet and if you travel by train or flight into Tibet. Only on that specific date and destination you can enter Tibet.
  2. Number of people traveling with you in your travel group .
  3. Expiration date of your Chinese visa.
  4. Your occupation(s).
  5. If arriving into Tibet by plane, then we need the address and phone number in mainland China to where we can mail the original permit. It costs 180 RMB for 3-4 days and if you use express post, then it costs 500 RMB extra to send.
  6. A trip deposit of 100 USD per person on our bank account (Bank of China).

What we need from you

We will need a color scan of your passport and current Chinese visa. Your Chinese visa must be valid throughout the duration of your stay in Tibet.

Note: If you need a visa extension it is extremely difficult to receive one in Tibet. You should arrange this before going to Tibet.Please note what type of visa you have and provide us with any additional information we may need.

  • Tourist (L) visa?requires no extra documentation.
  • Business (Z)(F) visas require that you also send us a copy of your work permit.
  • Student (X) visas require that you give proof of your enrollment at your place of study. Student ID cards are a good form of this. If you don’t have a student ID card, a letter from your university with the school stamp on it works as well. Please scan and email us high resolution color images of your passport, Chinese visa and any other required documents. You must also read and agree to the clauses in our agreement. We will give this to you when you start the process.

If you are entering into Tibet by flight

we need to send the original permit by post to your destination in mainland China. We cannot send the permit outside of China. You need to give us your hotel address, hotel’s phone number and also the name of the person who made the reservation in the hotel so that I can send the permit to you. The cost of mailing the permit is 180 Yuan and it should arrive in 3-4 days. If it’s urgent and we have to send it in one day, the cost is 500 Yuan. Do you need an airport pick-up or drop-off? We can arrange it. The cost is 300 Yuan. If you don’t need an airport pick up then you can take the airport bus to Lhasa at Gonggar Airport and once you are in Lhasa. You can call us 13889006015) so that we can send your guide to meet you and take you to the hotel.

Activities and sights in Lhasa are just suggestions and can be changed. In order to give our customers the most freedom possible, we do not have a rigid daily schedule. You will have the freedom to see and do the things you want to do in each of the places you go to. Your guide will can suggestions, but you will make the final decision on what to see and do in each place. Check our best tour to Lhasa city to enjoy your holiday.